There are things you want to do, and there are things you have to do. But there are also things in between where you must get them done but you don’t mind. That’s usually where going to the dentist can be found. It’s not something you get super excited about, but it’s also not anything you fear.
Or is it? Many people in Michigan have some amount of dental phobia and anxiety. That’s actually normal. But it becomes a problem when your concerns make you avoid regular exams and dental cleanings. This just makes any small dental health problems turn worse.
Thankfully, you can start easing dental anxiety by calling Dr. Callow today at 734-404-7336 and making an appointment with dental sedation. Inhaled sedation, coupled with patient-friendly technology and a team that truly cares about your comfort, can help you get the treatment you need.
Feel Relaxed With Dental Sedation
You have probably heard of nitrous oxide, also called laughing gas. It’s a mild sedative that works wonders for people who have some concerns about dentist visits. Here’s how inhaled sedation works:
- There’s nothing you need to do differently before heading to our Plymouth, MI office. You can even plan on driving home without problems.
- Once you are sitting comfortably in the dentist’s chair, a small mask is placed over your nose.
- You start breathing in the sedative, and almost immediately, you start to feel calm, relaxed, and safe.
- Once the treatment is complete, the mask is removed. The effects fade quickly, and you feel normal again in no time.
Inhaled sedation is perfect safe for almost everyone, even children! Plus, there are no needles or pills to take with a full meal. You simply show up, feel comfortable, and head home. Inhaled sedation is also great if you have a sensitive gag reflex or sensitive teeth.
Know The Dental Anxiety Causes
But why do so many people have some dental anxiety? Here is a list of some common causes.
- A childhood dentist visit was a bit scary: To a child, meeting strangers is sometimes embarrassing or even scary. Add in some odd noises and smells in a dentist’s office, and it’s easy for kids to feel uncomfortable there. That memory can linger and give you some anxiety as an adult.
- You read about someone’s bad experience: You don’t even have to experience problems to have some concerns. Reading about someone’s poor experience at another office, or hearing a troublesome story from a friend, can make you worried even if you always had a decent time at the dentist.
- It’s been years since your last visit: You should visit the dentist every six months, but sometimes you can miss one and then forget about it entirely. Some people go years between appointments, and while that’s not healthy, it’s also not anything you’ll get “yelled” at for. Our entire team just wants to help.
Call us today at 734-404-7336 or use our convenient online form to make your next appointment. With inhaled sedation and our friendly team, you can start easing dental anxiety and get the dental treatments you need for a bright, healthy smile.