Chances are you never envied classmates who had to wear braces on their teeth when they were younger. You may even have kidded them about their “metal mouth.”
But you might secretly envy them now. After all, they’ve got a great straight smile.
Perhaps you could have benefitted from braces when you were younger too – but you never got them, for financial or other reasons. You may feel self-conscious about your crooked teeth now, hiding them behind your hand when you meet someone new and never smiling in photos.
While you’d like a straighter smile, you can’t see yourself putting up with all the inconveniences of traditional metal braces as an adult. The good news is, you now have other options that eliminate most of the downsides of braces. We provide one of them, Invisalign, in our Plymouth, MI dentist office.
For a free consultation to find out if Invisalign treatment is right for you, call Callow Family Dentistry at 734-404-7336.
Advantages of Invisalign Treatment
Invisalign is a type of short-term orthodontics treatment that uses a series of trays made of clear, BPA-free plastic instead of metal and wires to straighten your teeth. It’s become wildly popular since its introduction in 1999, and it’s not hard to see why.
Among the advantages of Invisalign treatment:
- No one can see the trays. Not without looking pretty closely, anyway, as they are clear.
- You can remove the trays. This makes it easy to keep both them and your teeth clean, as you can take them out for brushing and flossing. You can also remove them for meals, which means you can eat whatever you’d like.
- The trays are comfortable. Without metal wires and brackets, most people find them a lot more comfortable to wear than braces.
The Invisalign Treatment Process
This is how Invisalign treatment typically works:
- We take digital X-rays, impressions of your teeth, and other measurements to create a custom treatment plan for you.
- We send the specifications to a special Invisalign lab, which manufactures your trays.
- When the trays arrive, we make sure the first one fits well and review your Invisalign treatment plan with you.
- The trays fit snugly over your teeth. You wear each set of trays for about two weeks, then exchange them for the next one. They gently shift your teeth into place over time.
- You’ll visit our Plymouth, MI dentist office for periodic checkups, so we can ensure your Invisalign treatment is progressing as planned.
The average Invisalign treatment time for adults is 12 months. While Invisalign works well for many dental issues, it may not be the best orthodontics option for teeth that need to be moved vertically or for canines or premolars that need to be rotated.
Tips for Your Invisalign Treatment Process
Here are some tips on getting the maximum benefit out of your Invisalign treatment:
- Wear trays for the recommended amount of time. We recommend wearing the trays for at least 20 hours a day. You should remove them only for eating or cleaning your teeth. Taking them out too frequently may result in a longer treatment time.
<liBe careful when inserting trays. You may want to use a mirror when inserting trays until you become proficient. Don’t bite a tray into place, as that can damage it.
- Follow the recommended treatment schedule. Always wear your trays for the recommended period. Don’t be tempted to “jump ahead” if a tray feels loose.
- Keep trays clean. Take out your trays before eating or drinking anything but water. Brush your teeth before putting them back in. Use a soft toothbrush and toothpaste to clean your trays. If you can’t brush, rinse your mouth out and rinse the trays too before reinserting them.
- Avoid certain oral habits. Don’t smoke or chew gum while wearing your trays.
How Did Invisalign Get Started, Anyway?
Four students at Stanford University, one of whom wasn’t happy with his own orthodontic treatment, came up with the idea for Invisalign in the late 1990s. They started developing Invisalign in a California garage, much like some other famed Silicon Valley startups. Venture capitalists liked the idea so much, they gave the inventors $140 million to develop the fledgling concept.
Invisalign really took off following a $31 million TV advertising campaign in 2000. The New York Times> called it “the most aggressive consumer advertising plan the dental profession has ever seen.”
The best way to know if Invisalign will straighten your smile is to visit our Plymouth, MI dentist office for a free consultation. Call 734-404-7336 to make your appointment.