Most people are happy with the straighter smile they get from braces. But they aren’t happy with what’s involved in wearing braces. Specifically, they don’t like:Doctor Douglas Callow on Invisalign Read Transcript
One of the biggest technological advances I've seen since I've been practicing dentistry is the advent of the Invisalign system for straightening crooked teeth and providing beautiful smiles. When I was a child, I had braces and went through braces and I had a mouthful of metal. Way back when I had it, it wasn't so common, so I had a lot of people call me Tin Grin, or Brace Face in middle school. That wasn't such a fun thing. Nowadays, we have ways of straightening teeth without metal and unsightly braces. The Invisalign system is a series of clear aligners which fit over the teeth, and the aligners are clear so that they are virtually invisible.
Each aligner is worn for a period of time, usually one to two weeks. Those aligners fit very closely to the teeth but they don't fit perfectly. Because they don't fit perfectly, they put pressure on the teeth. Because they put pressure on the teeth, the teeth move. The aligners are designed with a computer, and computer-designed, and computer manufactured. They're very comfortable, very unobtrusive, and work wonders. I'm always amazed when we have patients at the end of treatment. It's so incredible to see the before and after pictures and the change that can come about just with these little pieces of plastic.
- Unsightly wires and brackets
- Difficulty caring for them
- Length of treatment
Newer orthodontics options exist, though, and they eliminate most of the drawbacks of braces. We offer Invisalign, a short-term orthodontics system that uses clear plastic aligners instead of metal wires and brackets to straighten teeth, in our Plymouth, MI dentist office.
To find out more about Invisalign during a free consultation, call Douglas A. Callow, DDS at 734-404-7336. Dr. Callow has more than 30 years of experience in dentistry and has been awarded membership in Omicron Kappa Upsilon, the national dental honor society.
Invisalign Offers Many Advantages
One of Invisalign’s key advantages is that the clear, BPA-free plastic aligners are virtually invisible. Chances are, no one will know you’re wearing them! But Invisalign offers other advantages too. Among them:
- Removable – You can take out your aligners for eating and drinking, which makes it easier to maintain good oral hygiene. You can even remove them for special occasions.
- Faster treatment time – The average treatment time for Invisalign is 12 months. In contrast, treatment time for traditional metal braces usually takes 18 months to three years.
- Easier on your mouth – With no protruding metal, Invisalign is less likely than traditional braces to irritate your mouth and gums.
- Clear treatment plan – We take impressions of your teeth and then use special software to create your treatment plan. We can tell you the number of aligners you’ll use and how long your treatment will last, assuming you wear the aligners as directed.
We Answer All Your Invisalign FAQ
Douglas A. Callow, DDS would be happy to talk to you about cosmetic dentistry, including Invisalign, if you call or visit our Plymouth, MI dentist office. In the meantime, we’ve given answers here for some of the Invisalign questions we hear most often.
- How does it work, exactly? We take photos, impressions, and other measurements to create a treatment plan for you. A special Invisalign lab then makes a series of custom aligners for you. You change to a new aligner set every few weeks. The aligners gently shift your teeth into place over time.
- Can anyone use it? We don’t recommend Invisalign for anyone who still has primary teeth, but it can be used by teenagers or adults. Teeth that are severely out of alignment or have other serious bite issues may respond better to traditional orthodontic treatment.
- Can I take my aligners out whenever I want? Yes, you can. However, if you don’t consistently wear the aligners for the recommended 22 hours a day, you risk lengthening your treatment time.
We Offer Discount
We make Invisalign even more appealing by offering a $300 discount on treatment. Your initial short-term orthodontics consultation with Douglas A. Callow, DDS is free. If he suggests Invisalign, you can get a $300 discount on your treatment at our Plymouth, MI dentist office.
To schedule your Invisalign consultation, call Douglas A. Callow, DDS at 734-404-7336. Or use our online form to book an appointment at our Plymouth, MI dentist office. We’re located near I-275 off Ann Arbor Road.